Training, Open Source computer languages
PerlPHPPythonMySQLApache / TomcatTclRubyJavaC and C++LinuxCSS 
Search for:
Home Accessibility Courses Diary The Mouth Forum Resources Site Map About Us Contact
For 2023 (and 2024 ...) - we are now fully retired from IT training.
We have made many, many friends over 25 years of teaching about Python, Tcl, Perl, PHP, Lua, Java, C and C++ - and MySQL, Linux and Solaris/SunOS too. Our training notes are now very much out of date, but due to upward compatability most of our examples remain operational and even relevant ad you are welcome to make us if them "as seen" and at your own risk.

Lisa and I (Graham) now live in what was our training centre in Melksham - happy to meet with former delegates here - but do check ahead before coming round. We are far from inactive - rather, enjoying the times that we are retired but still healthy enough in mind and body to be active!

I am also active in many other area and still look after a lot of web sites - you can find an index ((here))
premature end of script headers

Posted by Helenb (Helenb), 8 June 2006
I have a program (originally written by Graham), which processes a text file, extracts data and writes it to a mySQL db. The text file can get quite big - the file with real data has  2M lines in it. My program runs fine on short examples, but once the text file gets > 5000 lines I get the above error message. Not a timing problem, as I set the time limit. I have a progress counter which prints (using print) a counter every 100 lines, and I output diagnostics to a file. As I say, it all works fine on 5k lines, but dies at 7k, though the file output indicates it reached the end of input successfully. However, if I alter the diagnostic to print the counter every  line it reads, it works OK, albeit too slowly to be much use, for up to 200k lines.
Any ideas what's going wrong?

Posted by admin (Graham Ellis), 8 June 2006
I think it probably IS some sort of timing problem - caused by your browser timing out.  The way to test this is to run the thing as a standalone PHP program (and I suspect it will work), and to also test it by running it from a telnet client rather than from a regular browser (which I suspect may also work).   You might also want to change the timeout of your web server .. that's the Timeout line in your httpd.conf file; if stand alone works, but telnet fails, that's probably your problem.

This page is a thread posted to the opentalk forum at and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.

You can Add a comment or ranking to this page

© WELL HOUSE CONSULTANTS LTD., 2024: Well House Manor • 48 Spa Road • Melksham, Wiltshire • United Kingdom • SN12 7NY
PH: 01144 1225 708225 • FAX: 01144 1225 793803 • EMAIL: • WEB: • SKYPE: wellho