Training, Open Source computer languages
PerlPHPPythonMySQLApache / TomcatTclRubyJavaC and C++LinuxCSS 
Search for:
Home Accessibility Courses Diary The Mouth Forum Resources Site Map About Us Contact

For 2023 (and 2024 ...) - we are now fully retired from IT training.
We have made many, many friends over 25 years of teaching about Python, Tcl, Perl, PHP, Lua, Java, C and C++ - and MySQL, Linux and Solaris/SunOS too. Our training notes are now very much out of date, but due to upward compatability most of our examples remain operational and even relevant ad you are welcome to make us if them "as seen" and at your own risk.

Lisa and I (Graham) now live in what was our training centre in Melksham - happy to meet with former delegates here - but do check ahead before coming round. We are far from inactive - rather, enjoying the times that we are retired but still healthy enough in mind and body to be active!

I am also active in many other area and still look after a lot of web sites - you can find an index ((here))
Invoking MySQL from the C:\> Promt in Windows 2000

Posted by MySQLNovice (MySQLNovice), 7 July 2003
I tried connecting to the MySQL Server directly and still cannot do so. I've got MYSQL running, but need to make a new root user account so that I can enter a password and User name. I tried C:\ mysql to invoke it but the command isn't recognized as a valid commmnad. What command is used to invoke MySQL within windows 2000?

Posted by admin (Graham Ellis), 7 July 2003
Did you accept all the defaults as you installed MySQL?  If so, the executables will be in \mysql\bin ... thus, to run the MySQL program to try out a commection
           c:\mysql\bin\mysql

In terms of setting up a root passowrd, use mysqladmin, for example:
            c:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin  -uroot  password  abc123

Posted by MySQLNovice (MySQLNovice), 8 July 2003
I tried entering the code at the C:\> as you indicated and it still wont acept the command. Could simply uninstalling, redownload and reinstalling help?

Posted by admin (Graham Ellis), 8 July 2003
Rather than re-install, can I suggest you search for the files mysql.exe, mysqladmin.exe, etc, using the operating system tools; my guess is that you'll find them on some other directory path which you'll then be able to use.  Uninstalling and re-installing might leave you exactly back where you were, and there's the potential for old stuff to not get properly cleaned out as well.   OK - if all else fails you may have to re-install, but all else hasn't failed yet  

Posted by MySQLNovice (MySQLNovice), 9 July 2003
Ok-I've verified mysql.exe and mysqladmin.exe.
I've got two other files mysqladmin.exe and winmysqladim.exe. (all of the files are in C:\mysql\bin)

Posted by admin (Graham Ellis), 9 July 2003
Problem sorted, then?   You can contact the MySQL daemon from the command line, set up password, check that it's working ....

Posted by MySQLNovice (MySQLNovice), 10 July 2003
How do I do that? Please remeber I'm an absolute beginner with MySQL.

Posted by MySQLNovice (MySQLNovice), 10 July 2003
I took a shot in the dark and entered mysql\bin\mysql.exe at the C:\> and got this:

Welcome to the mysql monitor. Commands end with ; or \g. Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 4.0.13-nt.

I now have a mysql> prompt. I guess I've invoked it...

Posted by admin (Graham Ellis), 10 July 2003
Yep, now you can start experimenting with some SQL commands, creating tables, etc.   You might find at first that you get a lot of error messages - SQL commands have to be much more exactly correct (right words, right quotes, right commas) than does English.

Tip - when you get on to longer commands, write them into a plain text file with notepad, and save that text file.  Then invoke mysql with
            < (filename).txt
on the end of it and it should run all the commands in the file.  Any errors, correct the text file and re-run - no need to retype!

This page is a thread posted to the opentalk forum at www.opentalk.org.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.

You can Add a comment or ranking to this page

© WELL HOUSE CONSULTANTS LTD., 2024: Well House Manor • 48 Spa Road • Melksham, Wiltshire • United Kingdom • SN12 7NY
PH: 01144 1225 708225 • FAX: 01144 1225 793803 • EMAIL: info@wellho.net • WEB: http://www.wellho.net • SKYPE: wellho