Great news - we are holding almost all of our IT training course prices at the same level into 2014. Public courses at our Well House Manor
training centre in Melksham, Wiltshire, will remain at £350.00 for the first day, and then £250.00 for each subsequent day of the course. Private courses cost £900.00 for the first day and the £800.00 for the second and subsequent days, plus £80.00 per delegate per day. For courses at Well House Manor, we have overnight accommodation available at £60.00 per room per night (rooms can be double as single, or twin - that's a per room price). We have also held our mileage and overnight accommodation rates for when we stay away at the same rate. Sometimes we loose out on this - we're happy to runs a private Ruby course in Edinburgh
during the fringe, or a PHP course in Manchester or Salford
during a party conference, and we'll meet the difference in hotel costs, and our mileage rate is calculated simply as the crow flies (in other words rounded down).
So - some examples...
• A place on a 4 day course at Well House Manor - £1100.00, plus £240.00 if you want to arrive the night before and stay with us. We provide lunch on the courses, and breakfast is in the accommodation price - so the only extra you need to buy once you get to Melksham is your evening meal.
• Second place on the same course - £1000.00 (there's still a £100.00 discount for second and subsequent delegates)
• A private course for 10 delegates in Coventry, for 3 days - £5372.00; that's just under £180.00 per delegate per day, and compares favourably to the cost of places on public courses where you're likely to spend around twice that by the time you add in the travel and accommodation costs of the delegates.
All prices quoted for delivery in the UK are subject to VAT. For courses elsewhere in the European Union, please let us know your local VAT number and we can report that rather than charging VAT. Outside the European Union (Switzerland, Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man and intercontinental) courses are not subject to tax.
But I did use that worrying word "almost" in my initial sentence - so where HAVE prices changed?
The bad news:
1. International travel costs - especially air travel - have risen, and it's many years since we reviewed these prices. With higher parking fees at the airports, and with a dramatic rise in air travel taxes, all on site courses which involve flying (that's typically distant courses such as the USA) have risen by £280.00 . This does not effect UK or European prices, which are based on overland travel.
But see "good news 2" ... you may save much more than the £280!
2. Within the UK, the roads get steadily busier, and more prone to congestion. And it's no good if your tutor arrives tired or late, or has to dash off early on the final day. So it's now policy to travel out to near your location for all private courses the night before (exception being Bath, Swindon and Salibsury postcode areas which are really close to base), and to travel back the day after the course has concluded for journeys of over about 90 miles. This results in a rise of £120.00 for courses in St Albans, Sutton, Dudley, Watford, Harrow, Luton, Hemel Hemstead, Stevenage, Milton Keynes, Torquay, Northampton, Walsall, Hereford and Wolverhampton. All other postcode areas unchanged!
The good news:
1. Our prices include provision of our own laptop computers for delegates to use during the courses. Historically that has been much more straightforward that using the customer's own machines. However, times have changed and for programming language courses (Perl, Ruby, Python, Lua, Tcl, C and C++) delegates can often use their own systems these days - it saves us carrying equipment (though we always have one or two machines in case) and it means we can deduct £20.00 per delegate per day from private course fees. For Linux, Tomcat, other Web Server and PHP course, which rely heavily on networking and involve system reconfiguring as part of the training, it's not normally a good idea to use your own systems, and we insist on bringing our systems for each delegate. For my example course above (Coventry, 10 delegates, 3 days) that's a saving of £600.00 , bringing the price down to £4772.00, or under £160.00 per delegate per day.
2. We have removed the minimum number of delegate for onsite courses. We have always been prepared to travel to train just 2 or 3 delegates, but we've charged for a minimum of 4 (UK and Europe) 6 (Intercontinental). Travel has always been charged at an approximation to cost, and in our own time. However, with improved network connectivity and with us able to use public transport much more now that our systems are smaller, it's no longer "wasted time" and that allows us to meet your other requirements. It will still be better value for you to send one or two delegates on a public course, but there are times that having me come to you for a tailored group makes sense. For a course of 4 days for 2 people in the USA, (as an example) this is a saving of £1280!
3. We have also removed the minimum private course length - again that's because our travel time is no longer wasted. We will however schedule one and two day course at the beginning or end of the week so that we can fit in multiple courses in a week. I can't really provide a price comparison here - we've simply not been able to offer short courses outside the UK at a sensible price until now.
4a. If you're coming on a public course to our Melksham, Wiltshire training centre and will be arriving the evening before the course starts, we will pick you up Melksham Station free of charge (or if we can't, we'll arrange for a taxi and pay for it). And we'll drop you off at the station to catch the return train too (leaves at 16:31 / into London for 18:15). Arrival pickups need to be booked with us 24 hours in advance, for a specific train. Savings of up to £40 in taxi fares!
4b. If you're coming by train the first morning of the course, a new train arrives in Melksham at 09:15 (connection from London / Paddington at 07:45). We can arrange a taxi for you - pay the taxi driver direct, about £6. Arrival taxis need to be booked with us 24 hours in advance. Savings of up to £90 pounds in taxi fares and one night's accommodation.
Prices are now fixed for bookings made by 31st March 2014, whenever you are attending the course. We anticipate holding most of the prices for the rest of the year, but our delegate accommodation rate at Well House Manor has been unchanged since 2008 and is likely to rise (at less than the rate of inflation over the past five years!) in April.
This posting is very much the "fine print". Please enter your postcode (UK, Canada, Australians) / zip code (USA) / county (Ireland) or country (elsewhere in Europe) for a quotation - or email me - firstname.lastname@example.org
. I am happy to talk about course tailoring (there's an element of that included in the cost of private courses) and other requirements - in fact I want to do so before you book to ensure that we offer you the right product.
(written 2013-12-26, updated 2013-12-27)
Associated topics are indexed as below, or enter http://melksh.am/nnnn for individual articlesG203 - Well House Consultants - Training course prices 
Training course and hotel room prices - 2016 - (2015-12-31) 
Challenging the IT course business model - (2015-02-05) 
Well House Consultants / Well House Manor - Prices for 2015 - (2015-01-01) 
Python, PHP, Ruby, C, Lua, etc ... course prices held for the rest of 2014 - (2014-03-08) 
Training around the world - easy payment in pounds Sterling - (2013-05-10) 
No news is good news. - (2011-03-07) 
Hotel and Training Course prices - the effect of the VAT rise on 4th January 2011 - (2010-12-26) 
Training comparison to QA Training, Learning Tree, GB Direct. - (2010-01-02) 
VAT Changes - (2009-12-19) 
Floor to ceiling - (2009-07-30) 
Discount Training Courses - PHP, Perl, Python - (2009-01-21) 
Book now for 2009 - (2008-11-29) 
Well House Consultants Training and Hotel - 2008 news - (2008-01-01) 
Good IT training cannot be cheap - (2005-11-18) 
Pricing strategy - simple and fair - (2005-04-29) 
Introduction fees, bonuses, commissions, kickbacks - (2004-12-29) 
Good value, low cost, cheap. - (2004-10-27)G401 - Well House Consultants - On Site courses 
A year of changes for Lisa and Graham Ellis, and Well House - (2017-05-27) 
Using your own laptop on our courses - now even easier! - (2013-07-05) 
10 reasons why I travel the night before a course starts - (2012-12-10) 
The course must go on - improvements to tutor travel plans, with immediate effect - (2012-10-17) 
Changing face - Filton - (2012-05-01) 
Back in Cambridge to give a Lua course - (2012-04-09) 
Training Classes - should the training company provide a system for each delegate to use? - (2011-01-18) 
Lua, Tcl, Python; Worldwide training classes - (2011-01-14) 
On site course - travel and accommodation expenses - (2010-09-14) 
Public (scheduled) or private course? Book direct, or through a third party? - (2010-08-19) 
A course review - for the tutor to complete - (2010-06-14) 
Binary data handling with unpack in Perl - (2010-06-10) 
Lua training class in Spanish - (2009-07-29) 
httpd, Tomcat and PHP course enhancements - (2009-02-14) 
Reception - (2008-09-01) 
Cambidge - Tcl, Expect and Perl courses - (2008-04-04) 
Perl, PHP, Python, Tcl, Linux, MySQL, Ruby courses ... - (2007-12-09) 
Cue the music, I'm happy. - (2007-01-09) 
You cant - (2005-09-08) 
Fair system for travel and accommodation expenses - (2005-09-07) 
Central London Courses - Perl, PHP, Python, Tcl, MySQL - (2005-07-18) 
Dress for training - (2005-03-10) 
Off to Munich - (2005-02-13) 
Setting up a training room for a course - (2005-01-27) 
Just provide a room and the students - (2004-12-03)G300 - Well House Consultants - Public Courses 
Course dates - from October 2016 to December 2017 - (2016-09-25) 
Training Course schedule for summer and autumn 2016 - (2016-05-30) 
Perl, PHP, Python, Lua, Tcl, C++, Ruby - final public courses for 2015 - (2015-10-30) 
Course Schedule - October 2015 to June 2016 - (2015-09-27) 
Public training courses - upcoming dates - (2015-02-21) 
Additional Python courses added to our schedule - (2015-01-29) 
Final examples for 2014 - and a look at our 2015 training course options - (2014-12-31) 
A brilliant finish to 2014 training and business guests, and a look to 2015 - (2014-12-20) 
Public courses - Autumn 2014 and 2015 - (2014-09-19) 
Upcoming public courses from Well House Consultants - (2014-05-31) 
Python and Tcl courses, November, UK (Melksham) ... just a few places left - (2013-10-23) 
Public courses - Python, PHP, Perl, Ruby, Lua, Tcl, C and C++ - autumn 2013 and through 2014 - (2013-09-13) 
Upcoming courses and availabiity - (2013-02-22) 
Upcoming courses at Well House Manor - Ruby, Python, Perl - (2013-01-19) 
What is coming up from Well House in 2013 - public Open Source / IT courses. - (2012-12-28) 
The bedrooms at Well House Manor - (2012-11-16) 
How well do you know Perl and / or Python? - (2012-11-04) 
Python Programming class for delegates who have already self-taught the basics - (2012-10-25) 
October to December 2012 - Public Courses - (2012-09-30) 
Training courses - rest of 2012, 2013 and January 2014 - (2012-08-06) 
Know Python or PHP? Want to learn Perl too? - (2012-07-31) 
April, May and June 2012 - Public Open Source Programming Courses - (2012-03-04) 
New in Java 7 - and why we are not running public Java 7 courses - (2012-01-08) 
Well House Consultants - Open Source Programming Courses for 2012 - (2011-12-21) 
December courses - PHP, Python, Perl - and a weekend Lua course - (2011-11-24) 
Open Source Training Schedule - learn a programming language - in Autumn 2011 or 2012 - (2011-08-20) 
Turning bright delegates into bright and knowledgable ones - (2011-07-21) 
Upcoming Programming courses ... High Summer, 2011 - (2011-07-15) 
How do I become a Linux System Administrator? - (2011-03-28) 
Open Source (Public) courses - PHP, Tcl, SQL, Python, C and C++ in Melksham, Wiltshire, UK - (2011-03-18) 
Extra courses - Advanced PHP, MySQL and Lua - (2011-02-07) 
Extra courses - C and C++ - (2011-01-12) 
Royal Wedding. How William and Catherine have changed our schedule - (2010-12-02) 
Running a course ... what if the tutor isn't well? - (2010-11-29) 
Well House Price list, January to March 2011 - (2010-11-25) 
Courses for late 2010 and early 2011 - (2010-10-30) 
Testimonials - Well House Consultants Open Source courses - (2010-09-21) 
Open Source Programming - Training Course Schedule - (2010-08-31) 
Announcing 2011 Open Source Training courses - dates and prices - (2010-08-18) 
Tailoring of courses to meet customers needs - how it works - (2010-07-21) 
Software versions used - June 2010 - (2010-06-30) 
Perl Course FAQ - (2010-04-23) 
Happy new decade - and course and hotel prices for 2010 - (2010-01-01) 
Koulutus, Open Source tietokone kielillä - (2009-08-09) 
ldning, Open Source dator språk - (2009-08-09) 
Opplæring, Open Source datamaskinen språk - (2009-08-09) 
Uddannelse, Open Source computer sprog - (2009-08-09) 
Opleiding, Open Source computertalen - (2009-08-09) 
Formação, Open Source computador línguas - (2009-08-09) 
Ausbildung, die Open-Source-Sprachen - (2009-08-09) 
Formazione, Open Source computer lingue - (2009-08-09) 
Formación, de los lenguajes de código abierto - (2009-08-09) 
Formation, des langages Open Source - (2009-08-09) 
Learning to program in PHP, Python, Java or Lua ... - (2009-02-19) 
Review of 2008 - (2008-12-31) 
2009 - Hotel, Meeting, Training Course prices - (2008-12-07) 
November and December Public Course Schedule - (2008-10-27) 
Next in the sequence - courses next year (2009) - (2008-10-12) 
Public Training Course Dates until July 2009 - (2008-08-13) 
July to December 2008 - Open Source training schedule - (2008-07-01) 
PHP training courses every month - (2008-04-18) 
Languages compared - based on developer community size - (2008-03-05) 
The Learning Perl crew, October 2007 - (2007-11-03) 
What we teach - expained for the non-technical - (2007-10-28) 
Longer hours and better value courses - (2007-01-15) 
Course Joining package - updated - (2006-11-20) 
Course scheduling and Geekmas - are they traditions yet? - (2006-08-26) 
PHP - London course, Melksham Course, Evening course - (2006-03-14) 
Training course plans for 2006 - (2005-07-23) 
Maximum number of trainees on a course - (2005-01-18) 
Public courses in London - (2005-01-07)
Some other Articles
Change to Libel and Defamation laws from 1st January 2014Open for the new year - ImberNot wanted here - hotel guests who will not be happyWell House Consultants - Public Training Course times for 2014Well House Consultants - course prices for 2014Thin end of the wedge - plan to be thicker in 2014Mallory Place, The Spa, Wellington Drive, Melksham - a Christmas present for youHappy Christmas from the Well House Manor teamSaturday train to Swindon - two weeks inMelksham Resident? Commuter? Save yourself 2000 pounds and 100 hours in 2014, and have a better journey!