Http protocol - what does a web server send
- what information do you send using http protocol from a web server?
1. HTML (e.g. .html)
2. Images (e.g. .jpg, .gif, .png)
3. Icons (e.g. .ico)
4. Style Sheets (e.g. .css)
5. Java Scripts (e.g. .js)
6. Applets (e.g. .class)
7. Video (e.g. .rm, .mpg, .mp4)
8. Sound (e.g. .mp3)
9. Flash (e.g. .swf)
10. Text files (e.g. robots.txt)
11. XML (e.g. sitemap.xml)
12. HTML++ embedded scripts (e.g. .php, .jsp)
- all of the above EXCEPT No. 12, which is stored on the web server computer's discs, but is used to generate content of the other types listed - typically HTML - before it is sent to the browser.
- Although the name makes is sound as if HTTP is used to send HTML, that's only a part of the story. Originally, HTML was the main content sent via HTTP , but these days when you browse a web page, the intial HTML will trigger your browser to make further HTTP requests for images, and perhaps many of the other elements listed above from (2) to (9).
Only rarely will you
call up files like robots.txt (which tells search engines and other automata where they should not go) and sitemap.xml (which you may use to set up to inform the search engines about the relative priority of pages that they may index), but automata
will call them up, fairly often, via HTTP if they exist. (written 2010-01-24)
Associated topics are indexed as below, or enter http://melksh.am/nnnn for individual articlesA207 - Web Application Deployment - HTTP 
3 digit HTTP status codes - what are they, which are most common, which should be a concern? - (2011-09-11) 
Downloading a report from the web for further local analysis - (2010-08-13) 
What is all this SESSION stuff about? (PHP) - (2010-04-25) 
Uploading and Downloading files - changing names (Perl and PHP) - (2009-08-04) 
http, https and ajp - comparison and choice - (2008-02-22) 
Web page (http) error status 405 - (2008-01-12) 
Etag in http headers - what is it? - (2007-10-03) 
Setting the file name for a downloaded document - (2005-11-03)
Some other Articles
Go Programming Language and Courses?Telling Apache web servers apart / notes for the non-technicalAn excuse for making a sales callDoes my course include breakfast, lunch, dinner and a hotel room?Http protocol - what does a web server sendTwelve skills / knowledges needed for the design of a web siteMelksham Area - your community view is soughtFood and drink launchRe-using our picturesMelksham Hotel, B and B or business accommodation?
4207 posts, page by page
Link to page ... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 at 50 posts per page
This is a page archived from The Horse's Mouth at
the diary and writings of Graham Ellis.
Every attempt was made to provide current information at the time the
page was written, but things do move forward in our business - new software
releases, price changes, new techniques. Please check back via
our main site for current courses,
prices, versions, etc - any mention of a price in "The Horse's Mouth"
cannot be taken as an offer to supply at that price.
Link to Ezine home page (for reading).
Link to Blogging home page (to add comments).