For 2021 - online Python 3 training - see ((here)).
Our plans were to retire in summer 2020 and see the world, but Coronavirus has lead us into a lot of lockdown programming in Python 3 and PHP 7.
We can now offer tailored online training - small groups, real tutors - works really well for groups of 4 to 14 delegates. Anywhere in the world; course language English.
Please ask about private 'maintenance' training for Python 2, Tcl, Perl, PHP, Lua, etc.
Comparing Java Courses - what can we do?
In answer to the question "Graham - what options can you offer me for a course similar to [gave me URL of an advanced server side Java course run by another training company, but not scheduled until late summer]?" from a potential course booker.
I replied ...
The description you have referred me to is a more advanced Java course that looks particularly at programming applications for use on a web server in Java, for delegates with prior Java experience in other fields. These days, we find that most people who are using Java are using it on the web, and that a combined "Programming in Java for the Web" type course - which covers both Java and the web stuff - is more relevant; there are relatively few delegates who know Java already, but need to add the web element.
So our published course schedule offers
* Learning to program in Java - 5 days - covering basic programming principles, the Java language, and a somewhat lighter look at the advanced Servlet / JSP type course of the Learning Tree specification you sent me to compare to. See http://www.wellho.net/course/sjfull.html
. This course is for delegates with no prior programming experience.
* Java Bootcamp - 4 days. Covering the Java language, and the same somewhat lighter look at the Servlet / JSP subjects of the previous course. See http://www.wellho.net/course/bjfull.html
. This course is for delegates who do have prior programming experience, but in a language other than Java.
* Apache httpd / Tomcat deployment - 2 days. This course covers the running of web servers on which Java applications are running, and isn't a programming course at all - it's all about how to run servers that run third party written programs. See http://www.wellho.net/course/atfull.html
How can we help delegates who already know Java, but need to add in the Server side skills?
1. We've got the material / we can do this on private, tailored courses to match the exact needs of the client company. That's cost effective if there are three or more delegates to be trained at the same time - and that is often the case with Java, which is by nature a language that's used on larger projects where there are multiple (or even hordes of) programmers.
2. I would be willing to fill a gap in our schedule with a three day course covering this material that we already use on private courses - for experienced Java programmers, covering Servlets, the servlet life cycle, database access (although that's really a more general Java topic), maintaining state so that server requests can be linked into a complete application (a.k.a. sessions). JSPs, custom tags and the standard tag library, and an overview of Struts. Also covering the design issues to make sure that applications are going to be easy to use / maintain / upgrade, and will be robust.
Please let me know if you're interested in either of those options - the first one would vary in price depending on number of delegates and location, the second would be priced at 1030.00 + VAT per delegate - that's the residential cost at our Melksham, Wiltshire training centre including hotel room there for three nights. If the delegate(s) live in Wiltshire or nearby and can commute daily, the cost is 850.00 + VAT.
P.S. If it turns out that the delegates need to learn Java / aren't all that familiar with it, and the 4 day Java Bootcamp is right ... EXCEPT that they need to cover the Servlet and JSP topics in more detail, we can extend that course by 1 or 2 days (350.00 per extra day / 410.00 extra inc. room) to cover that extra material. Those days could follow directly on, or be after a short break. (written 2009-03-17, updated 2009-03-18)
Associated topics are indexed as below, or enter http://melksh.am/nnnn for individual articlesJ050 - Java - General 
Which Version of Java am I running? - (2009-04-02) 
Java Programming Fundamentals - (2009-09-24) 
Exceptions in Java - why and how - (2009-09-24) 
Learning to program in ... - (2009-11-15) 
MySQL and Java - connectivity past, present, and future thoughts - (2010-07-09) 
New in Java 7 - and why we are not running public Java 7 courses - (2012-01-08) 
Learning to program in Java - yes, we can help. - (2014-09-26) 
Java - an update of the basics - (2014-11-16) 
Java -making sure you have the right versions - (2015-02-02) 
The spirit of Java - delegating to classes - (2015-02-18)
Some other Articles
Melksham to GeorgiaThe Longest Day - Wednesday, 28th SeptemberChanging the 404 - file not found - page in TomcatComparing Java Courses - what can we do?C Programming v Learning to Program in C. Which course?MySQL - licensing issues, even with using the nameBooks and distance learning from Well House Consultants?Do you support a decent train service? Please sign up!Jmeter - a first test case
4759 posts, page by page
Link to page ... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 at 50 posts per page
This is a page archived from The Horse's Mouth at
the diary and writings of Graham Ellis.
Every attempt was made to provide current information at the time the
page was written, but things do move forward in our business - new software
releases, price changes, new techniques. Please check back via
our main site for current courses,
prices, versions, etc - any mention of a price in "The Horse's Mouth"
cannot be taken as an offer to supply at that price.
Link to Ezine home page (for reading).
Link to Blogging home page (to add comments).