Search site for:

Further Information:
Home
What's New
Resource Centre
WHC Library
Opentalk Forum
About Us
News, chat and more - Anything that belongs on "Opentalk", but doesn't really fit elsewhere. Lectures, talks, news of this board, get togethers and even discussions of the best curry houses if you like!

Linux Expo uk 2002 9th-10th October
Posted by almosthere (almosthere), 11 September 2002
9th - 10th October 2002, London Olympia

I've just booked myself and a colleague in for this... it looks pretty interesting, perhaps more from a managerial point of view than programmatical.

It claims to be UK's largest Open Source dedicated exhibition and conference - anyone know anything about this? Apparantly useful for those evaluating the importance and impact of Linux on the IT sector including exhibits by Sun, Samsung Contact, HP Invent and United Linux.

Seems open source newsworthy to me And it's free if you register here :

http://www.linuxexpouk.co.uk

Not much to lose if you ask me....

almosthere
Posted by Lisa_Ellis (Lisa Ellis), 12 September 2002
Sounds like a great idea! You're right, can't lose.
I may come along myself if I'm not tied up.
Posted by admin (Graham Ellis), 12 October 2002
OK ... I dropped in on the show on 10th - Lisa was there (with me   ), but I didn't bump into "almostthere".   Did you make it either day, or did some crisis crop up?  What did you both make of the show?  Any particularly interesting exhibits or ideas?

Posted by Lisa_Ellis (Lisa Ellis), 12 October 2002
I liked that Mac was exhibiting there, but then again, Mac is just about all I understand in the Linux (or *nix) World.

I confess to not being impressed with the show overall. It (IMHO) felt as though I was witnessing the physical proof that the bottom dropped out of the computer market. There wasn't the excitement that tradeshows normally have. No figurative balloons and confetti, no brass bands, etc. Right, roll your eyes. But bear in mind that I come from a marketing/art background. For me, the build-up of today's and tomorrow's innovations are to grab you at the door and pull you in to a Disneyland-like cacophony of computer technology. It didn't happen. Instead, we weren't pulled in to talk with people manning booths by their joy at being there and selling their latest gizmo; it was our sympathy they didn't have anyone to talk with.

We went on the second day, so perhaps they'd already given out all their balloons.

This page is a thread posted to the opentalk forum at www.opentalk.org.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.

WELL HOUSE CONSULTANTS LTD
404, The Spa • Melksham, Wiltshire SN12 6QL • United Kingdom
PHONE: 01144 1225 708225 • FACSIMLE 01144 1225 707126 • EMAIL: info@wellho.net
You are currently on our United States site. Change your country
Updated Friday, May 3rd 2024 Privacy and Copyright Statement © 2024