Written up as an an answer to the many questions I see / have had asked. It's 2 years since we appeared now, and the show format develops with time, so so things may no longer be the same.
* People's reasons for taking part are many and varied. Some have thought it through, others not fully.
* Contestants selected to make interesting TV
* 800 applied for our series; 48 selected
* Pre-interview process for shortlisted applicants
* You don't know which part of the country you're going to until the previous week, now where / who you hosts are until you meet for the first time.
* By the fourth visit, some contenstants may have picked up clues as to their destination
* Contestants are not given any guidance as to accommodation price norms in the areas they visit
* Filmed over a fortnight
* Arrive at each location late in the morning. Film through to lunchtime on the following day.
* Stay in "stagng hotels" between each visit. Thus:
Monday (daytime) travel
Monday night - Yann's, Crieff
Tuesday night - Knock Castle [HOST 1]
Wednesday night - Imperial, Blackpool
Thurday night - Barton House [HOST 2]
Friday afternoon - home
Sunday afternoon - others arriving in our area
Monday night - Well House Manor, our place [HOST 3]
Tuesday night - Coventry Arms, upton Snodbury, Worcestershire
Wednesday night - Applewood Glamping [HOST 4]
Thursday night - Coventry Arms (formerly Attwood's)
Friday - at hotel in centre of Worcester [FINAL MEETING]
Friday afteroon / evening - home
* Each set of contestants stay in different staging hotels and do not mix / meet between places / film sessions.
* Rooms paid by contestants who are paid back by the production company.
* Underpayments made up to full asking price by the production company.
* Contestants are encouraged to check for dust / pick rivals up on little things
* There's a lot of waiting around between filming shots as the crew goes round each group recording
* When somethng happens, the same scene if often re-played ('do that again') to get a different camera view
* We had a lovely film crew consisting of a team of 6 or 7 who worked REALLY hard - even longer hours than the contributors.
* A very great deal goes on that doesn't get shown - recording (at our place) 14 DVDs of 40 minutes each. You see a selection of stories
* Show appoints a person at the production company to look after contributors through the show
* Web site gets huge traffic surge at time show initially goes our, and smaller surges upon repeat
* Different contributors report different response effects on teir bookings
* Previous guests (actual, and ones who imagine they visited) get reminded and submit online reviews
* Contestants will be recognised in their own locality for years afterwards
* And if you're travelling, you may be recognised and approach a very long way from home too!
* People want to talk and hear from you about the experience and how it all works/work(ed)
* Many contributors become friends with each other, stay in touch after the show, visit, etc. But that is not universal.
* The show has had a very marked and long lasting positive effect on us - far more effect than a typical fortnight would have.
We applied in June 2012, film tested in July, filmed in September 2012 and appeared the first week in January 2013 (series 4, episode 3) - repeated in various places 4 or 5 time since. We're Well House Manor - 48, Spa Road, Melksham, Wilts, SN12 7NY. At the time of writing, we offer almost identical services to those shown and remain delighted to welcome guests. (written 2015-03-31)
Associated topics are indexed as below, or enter http://melksh.am/nnnn for individual articlesM444 - Well House Manor - Four in a Bed 
Effect on external factors on traffic to our web sites - an update - (2015-04-26) 
Four in a Bed - the story continues - (2014-01-27) 
Not wanted here - hotel guests who will not be happy - (2013-12-30) 
With the Shpigs and Donkeys - (2013-11-10) 
A further chance to see Melksham on TV - (2013-08-22) 
A hidden hotel gem in Melksham - (2013-07-31) 
Should a hotel accept guests who book for just one night? - (2013-07-11) 
Really good friends - four in a bed! - (2013-06-09) 
20 minutes in to our 15 minutes of fame - (2013-01-20) 
A variety of continental breakfasts - (2013-01-16) 
Being an amateur hotel inspector helps me run a professional hotel - (2013-01-14) 
Well House Manor on Four in a Bed - the ongoing story - (2013-01-12) 
Four in a Bed - comment on results - (2013-01-11) 
The Experience - (2013-01-11) 
Comparing four VERY different places to stay - (2013-01-11) 
Expecting nothing, but prepared for anything - (2013-01-05) 
Well House Manor, Melksham - on national TV next week - (2012-12-30) 
Melksham welcomes visitors - new blue plaque trail and more - (2012-12-27) 
Quiet little town? Advanced Technology Centre? - (2012-12-08) 
Behind Melksham Spa - Mood Mist over wet fields. - (2012-11-23) 
The bedrooms at Well House Manor - (2012-11-16) 
Guest Guide for Well House Manor and Melksham - (2012-09-18)
Some other Articles
Rosslare to Fishguard - foot passenger on the ferryLeopardstown to Rosslare by trainTesting in Python 3 - unittest, doctest and __name__ == __main__ too.Sorting in Python 3 - and how it differs from Python 2 sortingFour in a Bed - most popular answersNeighbourhood Plan - travel and transport thoughtsMoving from C to C++ - Structured to Object Oriented - a lesson for engineersSockets, time handling and keyboard interrupt handling in CCatching up on a week all in a single post (?)Rail Conference, Nottingham