Twelve skills / knowledges needed for the design of a web site
I used to list seven knowledges / skills that a web site designer needed when I started web language courses such as Java or PHP ... but that element is no longer one that I present in quite the same way. However, an opportunity this morning to take a newcomer to providing interactive web content through the skill had me finding even more that before - a full round dozen! Here they are ... as they say on the TV "in no particular order".
1. Legal aspects
3. Data Management
4. HTML and CSS
5. Natural Language
7. Time and Motion
10. Systems Analyst
Comment may be needed on some of those
5. By "Natural Language" I mean English for a page that's in English, etc - the spoken / written language for the page.
8. Politics means that skill to work with and influence the people for whom you're putting the site together, who may be much more senior than you, so that the result is a good and practical site.
7. Time and Motion. Ah - I think that's an old fashioned term, but it means who people use and navigate through the site.
9. Interaction - ensuring that the questions are clear, correct and that people can fill them inand know how to - also how you intereact with the users.
1. Legal issues. DDA, Copyright, libel, incitement to break the law ... you need to know about these and make sure that you'll be providing a site that's allowed (and interesting)
12. And finally ... it helps to know a bit about (and have an interest in) the subject of the site.
Associated topics are indexed as below, or enter http://melksh.am/nnnn for individual articlesA050 - Web Deployment - General 
The components of an Apache httpd / Tomcat / MySQL stack and what each does - (2012-10-13) 
Forums for your Melksham and open source discussions - (2010-01-09) 
Should I maintain the programming code on my own website? - (2009-03-23) 
Copyright, Portability and other nontechnical web site issues - (2009-03-09) 
The next generation of programmer - (2004-11-13)
Some other Articles
Telling Apache web servers apart / notes for the non-technicalAn excuse for making a sales callDoes my course include breakfast, lunch, dinner and a hotel room?Http protocol - what does a web server sendTwelve skills / knowledges needed for the design of a web siteMelksham Area - your community view is soughtFood and drink launchRe-using our picturesMelksham Hotel, B and B or business accommodation?A healthy, local breakfast in Melksham
4280 posts, page by page
Link to page ... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 at 50 posts per page
This is a page archived from The Horse's Mouth at
the diary and writings of Graham Ellis.
Every attempt was made to provide current information at the time the
page was written, but things do move forward in our business - new software
releases, price changes, new techniques. Please check back via
our main site for current courses,
prices, versions, etc - any mention of a price in "The Horse's Mouth"
cannot be taken as an offer to supply at that price.
Link to Ezine home page (for reading).
Link to Blogging home page (to add comments).