What would I expect a browser to understand?
• HTML (To describe how the page is marked up)
• Images - .jpg .gif .png (Photos, diagrams, etc)
• Style Sheets - .css (To set the look and feel)
and probably (but progressively less likely:
• Flash (Dynamic graphics)
• ActiveX Components (For running code within a sandbox)
• Java Applets (for running code in a restricted area)
What would I expect to find in a file of HTML?
• HTML (Instructions for browser text layout)
• Style (How particular tagged types are to be rendered)
• PHP (Code to be run on the server)
• MySQL (For the PHP to use to access the database)
• English (For the web site visitor to read)
* The PHP and MySQL will only be present in the HTML if you're applying a filter such as PHP to the code
and I would HOPE to find comments in the code / file to tell me how it all works.
tupid! (written 2008-09-15)
Associated topics are indexed underA211 - Web Application Design and Deployment 
Sharing the user experience - designing a form with the customer in mind - (2011-11-29) 
Copyright, Portability and other nontechnical web site issues - (2009-03-09) 
New bathing idea for hotels from Hotelympia - (2008-02-20) 
Letting new visitors know we provide training courses - (2008-02-19) 
Compressing web pages sent out from server. Is it worth it? - (2007-09-14) 
What country are you in? How we find out on our web site - (2007-07-03) 
From Web to Web 2 - (2007-05-21) 
Finding the language preference of a web site visitor - (2006-06-18) 
Web Application Components - (2006-03-28) 
Server side scripting of styles to suit the browser - (2005-09-12) 
Sudoku helper or sudoku cheat - (2005-06-23) 
Skills and responsibilities - (2004-08-22)W601 - Structure of Networks and Webs 
What difference does using the XHTML standard really make? - (2009-06-18)
Some other Articles
Motorcycles welcome at Well House ManorWill your backups work if you have to restore them?Spiders WebRegular Expressions in PHPWhat does an browser understand? What does an HTML document contain?I have been working hard but I do not expect you noticedlibwww-perl and Indy Library in your server logs?What have iTime, honeytrapagency and domain listing center got in common?Refactoring - a PHP demo becomes a production pageWhich country does a search engine think you are located in?